The European Commission is looking for 15 extraordinary young people (aged 21-26) from across the world, with proven commitment and community engagement, to represent the work and impact on development achieved by youth. Young people are ‘movers and shakers’ in their communities and countries, and are key to solving the universal challenges outlined in the EDD 2018 programme.Application Deadline: 2nd March 2018
About the Award: Are you playing an active role in the fight for gender equality and women empowerment at the local, national or regional level? Do you want to share your vision of the future with other influential development actors? The time has come to make your voice heard: Apply for the Young Leaders Programme and grab the chance to be invited to Brussels to share your ideas!
The meaningful participation of children and youth is mandated by global and European policy commitments, including the right to express their views freely on all matters affecting them, for their opinion to be heard and taken seriously, and a role in decision-making. Youth inclusion leads to an innovative and more inclusive development. The empowerment of young people contributes to build responsible citizenship, which helps shaping democratic societies and good governance, which are high priorities for the EU. Motivating young people will ensure a long-term commitment to development, which can help increase ownership, accountability and innovation in their countries.
Type: Conferences, Training
- Applicants must be between 21 and 26 at the time of the forum (5-6 June 2018).
- Applications are open to young adults from all around the world, without restriction of nationality.
- Applications must be submitted in one of the following official European Commission languages: English / French / Spanish. The candidate must be able to speak clearly and comprehensively in one of these languages, as well as have a mandatory intermediate level of English.
- Applicants must be able to travel to and participate in EDD 2018 in Brussels (Belgium) from 29th May to 8 June 2018.
Selection Criteria: We will evaluate your application based on three criteria:
- 40% Your knowledge of your chosen topic and the relevance of your active engagement. We encourage candidates to show how their activities have had an impact on the community.
- 30% Your role as a representative of an organisation, other youth or community, and your leadership experience or potential.
- 30% Your public speaking skills and ability to speak at a high-level panel.
Value of Program: The 15 selected Young Leaders will be invited to Brussels, Belgium, and all expenses (Visa, travel, accommodation) will be covered by the European Commission.
During their visit to Brussels, Young Leaders get the chance to visit European institutions, participate in workshops, meet key policymakers and interact with other young people driving change around the world. They will speak at various sessions and enjoy full access to the whole conference. Travel and accommodation is covered by the European Commission.
Duration of Program: 10 days
How to Apply: You will find the application form below then instructions for applying on the Program Webpage. Don’t forget that you should submit a completed form before Thursday 2 March 2018!