To encourage the participation of young African female students at postgraduate level, for Masters and PhD programmes in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM), the African Union Commission is offering a Call for Scholarship Applications (For Female Applicants Only).
Application Deadline: 30th April 2018
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: African Union Member Countries
To be taken at (country): African Union Member Countries.
The Mwalimu Nyerere African Union Scholarship Scheme was launched in 2007 with the aim of contributing to the production and retention of high caliber African human capital for sustainable development of the continent in critical development areas, while promoting regional integration through intra-Africa mobility of students. The Scholarship Scheme is intended to enable young Africans to study in reputable African Universities with a binding agreement that beneficiaries will work in any African country for at least the same duration of scholarship period after graduation.
Fields of Study: Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
Type: Masters, PhD
Eligibility: To be eligible for the Scholarship, a candidate must:
- Be a Female Citizen of an African Union Member State
- Be under the age of thirty five (35) years for Masters Programmes; and under forty (40) years for PhD Programmes.
- Be a holder of a Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field, at the level of Upper Second Class Honours for a Masters’ Programme; and a holder of Masters’ Degree in the relevant field for a PhD Programme. The degree must be from a reputable University
- Have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement as evidenced by academic transcripts, and academic awards if any.
- Have proof of admission to undertake a full time Masters or PhD programme in a recognized university of an African Union Member State.
- Be willing to commit to work in an African Union Member State on completion of studies for at least three (3) years.
Selection Criteria: The Scholarships are granted on academic merit and based on a rigorous selection process.
Number of Awardees:
- Undergraduate Degree Programmes (4 Scholarships)
- Master’s Degree Programmes (2 Scholarships )
Value of Scholarship: The scholarship award covers the following:
- Tuition Fees: According to an official invoice from the Host University.
- Stipend: 500 US$ monthly, to support living expenses such as housing, food, utilities, local transportation and medication.
- Book Allowance: An allowance of 500 US$ per year for the purchase of books.
- Air ticket: A round-trip economy fare for the most direct route between the beneficiary’s home country and the study destination of host Institute.
- Travel Allowance:
- One-off payment of 250 US$ to contribute towards ground transportation from airport and settling-in costs
- One-off payment of 350 US$ to assist with shipping and other terminal expenses; upon departure from the host Institution after successful completion of the study.
- Computer Allowance: One-off payment of 1,000 US$ for the purchase of laptop computer and accessories.
Duration of Scholarship: The Masters programme should be of two years duration; while the PhD programme should be of three years duration.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should complete the Application Form in PDF format as well as the EXCEL Applicants’ Data Sheet, which are available on the Africa Union website:www.au.int/en/scholarship
The applicants should submit their formal application which should include the following:
- Completed application form
- Recent passport-size photograph
- Summarized CV with names and contacts of two referees.
- Certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts
- Certified copies of Passport or national Identity Card indicating citizenship
- Copy of admission letter from a reputable African University
- Two (2) Reference Letters with contact addresses.
- An essay of not more than 500 words that explains why the candidate has chosen her particular field of study and its importance to Africa’s development.
Note that Electronic Copies of all the above documents should be submitted.
Applicants must scan and produce electronic copies of all the above documents (converted to PDF format) and send to the following e-mail address.
In addition two (2) sets of hard copies of the above documents must be sent by post to the address below.
Mwalimu Nyerere Scholarship Programme
Department of Human Resources, Science and Technology
African Union Commission
P.O. Box 3243
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Award Provider: Mwalimu Nyerere African Union Scholarship Scheme, African Union.
Important Notes: Candidates must complete all academic work within the specified period of the programme as the scholarship cannot be extended.